Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Real World is Coming

In just a two months I will graduate from the University of Missouri. This should be an exciting time, but i am filled with nervousness and anxiety. The bad economy has limited the number of jobs available and with the constantly changing journalistic atmosphere I begin to worry how the careers and the job market will change even after I land a job.

After failing to land a job or internship, I am fearful that I will not find a job in my desired field. When i finally master Avid newscutter, I hear that most newsrooms use Final Cut pro, making my years of training in Avid less useful. If I cannot find a job what will I do for a living? I am good at playing poker but can i really be a professional poker player.

Despite the above doubt, i remain optimistic that I will be able to find a job. I have years of experience of my desired field of sports play-by-play in a variety of sports including volleyball, wrestling, and gymnastics. These sports help me because they are sports that not a lot of people have experience announcing. I am a great sports producer and as earlier mentioned, I am very good with avid. I am working to better my anchoring skills.

Also my multimedia reporting experience gives me a wider range of competencies than most applicants. I know audio and photo editing software. I have experience with web design and writing for the web. I also feel like my reporting skills are strong enough, even though that is not a job I wish to pursue.


The future is in doubt. I have no idea where I will be 3 months from now. This is a scary and exciting new world that I am ready to enter into.

No comments:

Post a Comment